The following was posted late last year on the blog of our sister church, Covenant Life Church, in Gaithersburg MD. I referenced this post in my sermon today.
Currently, there are 200 million Christians experiencing persecution in over 40 countries. These believers are experiencing suffering in many forms, from receiving the lowest paying jobs, to imprisonment and even death. As Paul says in 2 Corinthians 4:9, they are “persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.” When asked what they need the most, their most frequent answer is, “Please pray for us!” You can partner with the persecuted church by praying on their behalf, learning more from the ministries that support them, and providing for their needs. Here are some specific ways that you can get involved:
Be Informed and Pray
• Receive e-mail updates that will help you pray specifically for persecuted Christians through International Christian Concern, Open Doors, or Voice of Martyrs.
• Pray each day through the Open Doors’ monthly prayer calendar.
• Read the news from International Christian Concern’s latest press releases.
• Read Day by Day, a daily e-devotional written by persecuted believers through Open Doors.
• Subscribe to Voice of the Martyrs’ monthly newsletter.
• Go Christmas shopping at Christian Freedom International. Buy handcrafts made from persecuted believers to support them in providing for their families.
• Give a Bible to a child in a closed country by texting 20222 and type “Bible.” A $5 donation will appear on your phone bill (you can text up to five times per month). You can also mail a New Testament Bible into restricted nations by visiting www.BiblesUnbound.com.
• Send a care package to a Christian family through the Action Pack project through Voice of the Martyrs.
• Write a letter of encouragement to a prisoner for the gospel at www.prisoneralert.com.
• Advocate on behalf of the persecuted church by joining the Open Doors Frontline Action Network to receive e-mails alerting you to take action on new advocacy campaigns. Also visit International Christian Concern to sign the latest petitions.
• Provide financially by giving a specific item (i.e. a vehicle, medical aid, Bible training, etc.) to any of the referenced organizations.
Organizations that Minister to the Persecuted Church
Christian Compassion International
Christian Freedom International
International Christian Concern
Voice of the Martyrs